Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's the Adventure; not a Destination


It's funny how life presents tiny 'zen' moments to me, through the most unlikely sources! My son Ian was playing Mario Cart Wii; his favorite game in the entire world. I don't normally sit and watch him play it, but he asked me to; so I did. 

Ian's way of playing Mario Cart is very different than how I would play. You see, the obstacles that you are supposed to avoid, the ones that cause your character to skid off a cliff, or blow up, are what he will intentionally back up, to run over. Watching his character skid all over, or explode is much more interesting to him, than winning the race.

I realized that I am sometimes so entirely focused on my goals, that I miss the fun of the journey.

As to amplify this point to me, Brian surprised me with a piece of art he found on Craig's list. It is a mid-70's impressionistic, central European piece, out of Prague or Budapest. He's always wanted one from that era. We ended up rearranging all of the art in our living room, and also, the lower level. I have been encouraging Brian to clean out the office for 3 years now; and this inspired that. 

Upon cleaning out the office, we found a bible from the 1800's and some other goodies that might be of value. I am more than willing to part with something that I don't use, and didn't know we had. 

So, after pulling the 'surrender' card this morning, I am trying to relax into the process of changing the world. It's a journey, not a destination. And if I'm not enjoying the process; what's the point? My life is for living and enjoying; not merely 'getting through'. This entire process with the county will take months. It would be more enjoyable for me to see it as an adventure, not a destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home